Kegonsa Working for Kids
What is this ‘Working for Kids’ thing I keep hearing about?
- We are just like you! We are parents of children at Kegonsa Elementary. We have jobs and social lives, love our families, and are dedicated to helping our children succeed.
- We volunteer when we can either from home or at Kegonsa, through the Working for Kids mission. Sure, there are monthly meetings, but if you can’t make it, just follow-up with us on Facebook or read the minutes that are e-mailed after the meetings. You’ll be able to get a grasp of what we talk about and what we are doing for our kids monthly. Better yet, you’ll find out how you can get a piece of the action!
Still not sold?
- Engaging in Working for Kids as a parent teacher organization makes a difference in your child’s education
- Research shows that children perform better when parents are engaged in education both at home and at school. Parental involvement boosts student achievement.
- When you are a part of Working for Kids, your child(ren) will see first hand the importance you place on education
- Being involved in Working for Kids is a great way for the adults to get connected, not just with the school, but with each other.
- What exactly does Working for Kids do, you say? Well, we provide support both financially and as volunteers to the children, teachers and administration. For example, we funded nearly $6,800 worth of support to classrooms, EA’s, music, art, physical education, and more in the 2016-2017 school year! That doesn’t even include all the fun activities that were put on by Working for Kids.
- So our meetings are pretty casual, like snacks, laughing, and the occasional prize type of casual. But we try to stay on time because that’s important to keep life moving too.
- And who will you get to see at the meetings? Well, one guarantee is the 5 friendly board members every month:
- Angie Kettner
- Jenn Kotajarvi
- Kelly Harrington
- Pamala Goecks
- Tiffany Greenheck
- A great thing about meetings is that you get to see the principal and teachers in a different light, all working together with the parents. That is what makes us WORKING for KIDS.
- Don’t have anybody to watch the bambinos to get to a meeting? We provide free childcare. Not sure if you have a ride to the meeting? We will do our best if you contact us ahead of time to pick you up.
Would you like to know when the meetings are? Great! Come as you are and join in as many as you are able but... please don’t feel like you can’t volunteer with the group just because you can’t make the meetings work. We have plenty of opportunities for people of all talents including becoming a room parent for the school year. We cannot wait to meet you and put our heads together to dream up the next big thing!
2nd Tuesday monthly between September-May, 6:15-7:15pm in the Kegonsa library
September 11th, October 9h, November 13th, December 11th, January 8th, February 12th, March 12th, April 9th, May 14th
Angie Kettner, President
Kelly Harrington, Treasurer
Jenn Kotajarvi, Secretary
The school garden is partnered with the Kegonsa Working for Kids parents group. Produce from the garden from this time will be donated in its entirety to the city's Food Pantry. Check out our Kegonsa School Garden web page.