Welcome Back Fall 2019
Welcome Kegonsa school families and students,
On behalf of the Kegonsa Elementary staff it is my honor to welcome you to the school year. We have been busy this summer preparing the building for the new school year. We also are welcoming new teachers to our building this year who are excited to meet the incredible Kegonsa students/families at our school open house on August 28 from 4:30 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Our school leadership team adopted our theme for the year - “Be. . .Kegonsa Elementary. . . . . .Who are you going to be?" which will be a thread throughout the year in our teaching and learning.
I look forward to working together to continue to build strong relationships with students, staff, parents, families and community partners. Effective communication is critical in our partnerships and I encourage you to reach out to your child’s teacher or to me if you have any questions, suggestions, or concerns. My door is always open. Please don’t ever hesitate to call, e-mail, or drop in. We are here for you! - Erin
Kindergarten Meet and Greet: August 21, 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Back to school open house: August 28, 4:30 - 6:00 p.m.
First day of school: September 3, 8:00 a.m.
SCHOOL HOURS AND ARRIVAL/DEPARTURE
Office hours: 7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
School hours: 8:00 a.m. - 3:05 p.m.
PARKING FOR PARENTS/FAMILIES AND VISITORS
Parents, guardians, and visitors may park in the circle drive on the West side of the school. This area will be marked as “Visitor Parking.” Parking is also available on Chalet Drive and on Vernon Street (not directly in front of the school). There are three spots in the front circle drive reserved for Working for Kids (WFK) volunteers, Employee of the Week, and a Handicap Accessible spot. Please do not park in the Bus/Staff Parking lot on the east side of the school and remember to use crosswalks and sidewalks for the safety of our children.
ABSENCE NOTIFICATION PROCEDURES
In the event that a student will be absent or tardy, parents and guardians must contact the school by either calling the school attendance line or sending a note to the office.
To leave an absence message please call 877-5200 and listen for the attendance line prompt. Give your child’s name, date of absence and reason for absence.
When a student is absent and the parent/guardian has not contacted the school, an automated message will be sent to your phone(s) and/or email advising you that your child is not present in school. If you do not confirm the absence, your child will be marked with an “unexcused” absence. For further information regarding the School Board of Education and State of Wisconsin policies for student Attendance, please consult the 2019-2020 Stoughton Area School District Legal Notices and Student Policy Handbook.
PROCEDURES FOR SIGN-IN AND SIGN-OUT OF STUDENT LATE ARRIVAL AND EARLY DISMISSAL DURING SCHOOL HOURS
Any time a student arrives or leaves school between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 3:05 p.m., the parent, guardian, or other designee, must come to the office and sign the child in if arriving late or out if leaving before school ends. When leaving school, the student will be called to the office by office personnel.
SCHOOL SECURITY MEASURES
Kegonsa Elementary School implements the Raptor System as a safety and security measure. During school hours all doors will be locked. Visitors must enter through the main door at the front entrance where they will be buzzed in by the front office staff. In order to not interrupt classrooms and teaching, we ask that parents/families picking up children in the afternoon wait outside or in the front vestibule until walkers and bus riders are dismissed.
Secured Entrances – All of our doors will be locked during the school day from 8:00 a.m. to 3:05 p.m. When a visitor comes to the building during the school day, he/she will enter the first set of doors into a vestibule. Once inside the vestibule, there will be a small camera and buzzer to alert the main office of your arrival. At this point, the visitor will wait for an office staff member to buzz him/her into the building. Once buzzed into the building, the visitor will proceed to the office.
RAPTOR – Once a visitor enters the office, he/she will present a state issued identification to an office staff member. If it is the visitor’s first time visiting a building, his/her ID card will be scanned into Raptor. Raptor collects the ID photo, name, date of birth, and first four digits of the license number on the identification to perform an instant sex offender background check against databases in all 50 states. Once that person’s ID is scanned, he/she is entered into the system. The office staff member will identify whether the individual is visiting the building or volunteering in a specific area or classroom. Once this information is entered, a visitor badge will printed with the visitor’s name, picture, and destination in the building. When the visitor is leaving, he/she stops back in the main office to check out.
COMMUNICATIONS FROM PARENTS TO THE SCHOOL
Students Picked Up From School - A note or a phone call must be received from the parent or guardian in order for your child to be picked up by you or someone else after school, for an appointment during school hours or if you will be changing the normal after school route home. If you need to call the school with this information, please call the Kegonsa Office (877-5200) to leave a message; do not leave a voicemail for the teacher and or a message on the school attendance line. So that office staff has sufficient time to deliver your message to your student, please contact the school before 2:45 p.m.
Bus Notes - A note for the bus driver is required when:
- There is a change of where your child will be dropped off.
- When your child will be riding a different bus.
- Any time a friend rides home with your child. This note must be signed by office personnel.
- Any time your child rides home with another child on the bus. This must be signed by office personnel.
Recess Notes - Parents and guardians are asked to refrain from sending notes requesting that their child stay in for recess unless you have a doctor’s note.
Kegonsa School has an inclement weather policy. Children are not allowed to go outside when the weather conditions are detrimental to their health and safety. Our policy is any time the wind-chill is below -5 degrees F the children will not be going out for recess.
STUDENT PICK-UP/DROP-OFF PROCEDURES
Morning Drop Off: (Front doors open at 7:50 a.m.)
- Before school, drop off students in the drop off lane in the front parent circle. Our “valet” greeter will be helping to open doors and escort students to the sidewalk. There is NO parking in the front circle during school hours or the Staff/Bus Parking lot.
- You may also park in the West Circle, Chalet Drive and Vernon Street and walk your child into school through the main doors.
- Students dropped off before 7:50 a.m. should go to the large playground.Students taking breakfast can enter at 7:40 a.m. at Entrance 8 on the Large Playground.
- Students/Families may enter the building at 7:50 a.m. through the front entrance.
You may escort your child to class but need to be out of the building by 8:00 a.m. when the bell rings.
Afternoon Pick Up: (All students dismissed at 3:05 p.m.)
- All students (walkers, students being picked up and bussers) will be released at 3:05 p.m.
- Parents/Families can enter the building at 3:05 p.m. to pick up their child. You may wait in your car, outside or in the vestibule in the front entrance 1. Again, no unattended cars are permitted in the front circle.
- To avoid congestion, agree on a meeting spot with your child either in the front entrance, door 4, or playground.
- In the afternoon ONLY, students can also leave through entrance 4 on the Western side of the building. You may wait for your child outside of Entrance 4. No one will be allowed in the building before 3:05 p.m.
- Students eating breakfast can enter the building at 7:45 a.m. to eat. They can enter through the playground entrance 8.
Bus Rider Information:
- Buses are slated to arrive at 7:45 a.m. in the bus/staff parking area.
- Students will have 5 minutes to play on the playground.
- At 7:50 a.m. students will be released into the building. For the first several weeks (at least) teachers will meet students on the playground and escort them in.
Playground: There is NO supervision before 7:40 a.m. and after 3:10 p.m. on the playground. Please do not send your child(ren) early or arrive late. Student safety is our priority.
*Please know that safety of our students is our number 1 priority. We will adjust arrival and departure procedures as we see fit.