Located in south central Wisconsin, the Stoughton Area School District is an award-winning school system that consistently posts a higher graduation rate than many Dane County schools and has garnered national recognition for its educational practices. We offer three elementary schools, one middle level school, one high school and a virtual school through a consortium of other area school districts. Our district encompasses the City of Stoughton and parts of the towns of Albion, Christiana, Cottage Grove, Deerfield, Dunkirk, Dunn, Pleasant Springs and Rutland in Dane County, as well as parts of the towns of Porter and Union in Rock County. At SASD, we are big enough to meet the needs of all students and small enough to personalize learning for all students. Discover why we are a District of Choice.
Online application for public school open enrollment for the 2020-2021 school year, Wisconsin's public school choice program, will be available on the Department of Public Instruction website beginning February 3 through April 30, 2020.
Traditionally, children in Wisconsin are assigned to public school districts based on the location of their parents’ home. Open enrollment is a tuition-free opportunity for parents to apply for their children to attend a public school in a school district other than the one in which they live.
Transportation to and from a nonresident school, in most circumstances, is the responsibility of the parent. However, some school districts may provide partial transportation. Parents with questions should call the nonresident school district office to find out if any transportation will be provided. Reimbursement of a portion of transportation costs is available for families whose children are eligible for free or reduced-price school meals based on federal income guidelines.
Under public school open enrollment, parents may apply during the three-month application period to the school district they wish their children to attend using the online application website. Application deadlines are firm. Early and late applications are not accepted. Districts will notify parents by June 5 whether their open enrollment applications have been approved or denied. Although an alternate application procedure allows parents to apply for open enrollment outside of the three-month application period, there are more restrictions associated with the alternate procedure.
Guidance for Parents and Guardians
- Parents and guardians may complete open enrollment applications online. The online application will be available from midnight Feb. 3 until 4 p.m. on April 30, 2020.
- Parents are limited to no more than three applications to nonresident school districts for each child during the open enrollment application period.
- Applications must be filled out completely and accurately. Contact the local school district office or the DPI if assistance is needed in completing the application.
- Parents may request enrollment in a specific school or program in the nonresident school district; however, enrollment is subject to space and other limitations and is not guaranteed.
- Most students who attended a nonresident school district under open enrollment in the current school year are not required to reapply for the subsequent school year. However, if the student will be entering middle school, junior high school, or high school in the 2020-2021 school year, districts may require re-application. Districts must notify parents of any re-application requirement prior to the start of the application period on Feb. 3.
- Parents may apply for their children to attend 4-year-old kindergarten under open enrollment only if the resident school district also offers a 4-year-old kindergarten program for which the child is eligible.
To find additional information about open enrollment, visit the department’s Public School Open Enrollment website. More information also is available from SASD Open Enrollment Coordinator, Amanda O'Brien, (608) 877-5045 or firstname.lastname@example.org or from an open enrollment consultant at DPI, (888) 245-2732 (toll-free), or email@example.com.