Educating for Equity
Equity Vision Statement
Our Compassionate School community will operate within a proactive system of support to promote a positive, inclusive culture with equity, respect, and dignity so we can thrive emotionally, socially, and academically.
District Core Values
- Excellence & Equity in Teaching & Learning
- Respect & commitment to each other
- Personal & Social Responsibility
- Community Engagement
- Sustainability of Resources
A Look into our Equity Work
Dane County Equity Consortium
- Small Fire is a group of dedicated restorative justice practitioners offering a vision for just, equitable and effective work environments and communities. SASD works with Small Fire to do just that.
Professional Development for Staff
As to 20-21 we will be having a 2 day training in July for our Equity Team leaders with the following outcomes:
- Deepen connection as a professional learning community of equity leaders
- Increase capacity as Circle-keepers and equity leaders (attention to virtual context) in preparation for our first equity-focused professional learning experience of 2020-21 to take place the week of August 24
- Virtual Circles
- Learning objectives over the 6-7 all staff Circles / sessions throughout the year (90 minutes)
- Focus of equity team PLCs through year with the focused on preparing for upcoming equity-focused professional learning for all staff and Circle as a transformational process / art of Circle-keeping.
- Deepen understanding of the learning encompassed within 2020-21 equity-focused professional learning goals and objectives
- Setting and monitoring meaningful goals to advance equity
- District-wide staff participated in a book study of So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- Our PPG (Professional Practice Goal) is to increase understanding of our own racial identity, the history and role of race/racism in schools, institutional power, and structural oppression.
- Beyond the Script is a document for recent articles and resources to support our equity mission shared with staff.
School Board Resolution
- On July 20, 2020, our Board of Education approved and adopted a racial equity resolution. Read the resolution here.
Summer 2020 Community Book Read
We are pleased to invite Stoughton Area School District high school students, staff, parents and community members to join the Dane County Equity Consortium's countywide book study of The White Racial Frame.