Educating for Equity
On This Page
- Upcoming Events
- Our Equity Framework
- Educating on Equity | Resources for All Ages
Equity Vision Statement
Our Compassionate School community will operate within a proactive system of support to promote a positive, inclusive culture with equity, respect, and dignity so we can thrive emotionally, socially, and academically.
A Look into our Equity Work
- Three-Part Community Viewing & Discussion of "13th" in February/March 2021
- Race in Our Community: A Community Conversation in September 2020
Dane County Equity Consortium
- Small Fire is a group of dedicated restorative justice practitioners offering a vision for just, equitable and effective work environments and communities. SASD works with Small Fire to do just that.
Professional Development for Staff
As to 20-21 we will be having a 2 day training in July for our Equity Team leaders with the following outcomes:
- Deepen connection as a professional learning community of equity leaders
- Increase capacity as Circle-keepers and equity leaders (attention to virtual context) in preparation for our first equity-focused professional learning experience of 2020-21 to take place the week of August 24
- Virtual Circles
- Learning objectives over the 6-7 all staff Circles / sessions throughout the year (90 minutes)
- Focus of equity team PLCs through year with the focused on preparing for upcoming equity-focused professional learning for all staff and Circle as a transformational process / art of Circle-keeping.
- Deepen understanding of the learning encompassed within 2020-21 equity-focused professional learning goals and objectives
- Setting and monitoring meaningful goals to advance equity
- District-wide staff participated in a book study of So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- Our PPG (Professional Practice Goal) is to increase understanding of our own racial identity, the history and role of race/racism in schools, institutional power, and structural oppression.
- Beyond the Script is a document for recent articles and resources to support our equity mission shared with staff.
School Board Resolution
- On July 20, 2020, our Board of Education approved and adopted a racial equity resolution. Read the resolution here.
District Core Values
- Excellence & Equity in Teaching & Learning
- Respect & commitment to each other
- Personal & Social Responsibility
- Community Engagement
- Sustainability of Resources